Wednesday 16 July 2008

I really am a mother!

Today I had one of those moments when you realise you really are a mother – I made Maia her first fancy dress costume for sports day!! There was an animal theme and since I had just been to my mum’s and come home with a long piece of black ‘fur’ it seemed appropriate to make a cat costume. So she went as Slinky Malinki (from the book by Lynley Dodd) and seemed very put out when other people called her ‘little pussy cat’! “Don’t they know my name is Slinky Malinki?”

The final article!

A camera shy Slinky Malinki

Slinky Malinki is a kiwi creation so it's only fitting to do the haka!


Although she’s nearly 4, I still get those times when it strikes me that I am now a mother and always will be. It happened the other day aswell. Her little sister was deliberately annoying her by singing loudly (I didn’t realise that toddlers could be so aware of their actions – the more Maia protested the more and louder Cassia sang J ) and I turned to Maia and said “Just ignore her”. I couldn’t believe that I had said it. I vividly remember my mum saying it to me when my older brother was annoying me and thought “How on earth can I ignore that?!”

No comments: