Wednesday 30 July 2008

Toddler talk

Conversation number 1 – between me and Maia (almost 4)

M: "What’s that spider doing?"

Me: "I don’t know."

M: "Is he dancing?"

Me: "Yes he’s dancing."

M: "Why’s he dancing?"

Me: "I don’t know – maybe he’s practising for the spider disco!" (Forgetting that sarcasm lost on the children!)

M: "What’s a disco?"

Me: "It’s a place where you go to dance."

M: "Is he going to the spider disco?"

And on and on and on!!!!

Conversation number 2 – between me and Cassia (21months)


Cassia is sitting on the workbench whilst I’m making tea and reaches for a William Wallace figurine (why’s it there?! Well the in-laws had just returned from Edinburgh with this as a present for the girl's dad!)

C: "What Mama?"

Me: "William Wallace."

C: "William Wallace. My William Wallce."

Me: "No, Daddy's William Wallace."

Then she reaches for a medicine spoon which is there since Maia's come out of hospital

C: "Spoon Mama"

Me: "Yes, a spoon for Maia's medicine."

C: "Spoon medicine."

Pause

C: "Medicine William Wallace." Whilst doing the action of giving medicine to said William Wallace.

Me: "Yes Cassia. Are you giving medicine to William Wallace?"

C: "Yes Mama."

Now, I don’t know about you but I couldn't have imagined those conversations in a million years before I had children, but now they are just part and parcel of everyday life!

2 comments:

nocton4 said...

oh these made me chuckle, the riches of life
x

Jem said...

Perhaps mr Spider was practising for the ugly bug ball :-)