Tuesday 5 August 2008

Carrot and cumin soup

The perfect soup for change of seasons, or for the English summer this year, because it can be hot or cold. It is originally a recipe for hot soup but, by accident (when I stuck my finger in it by mistake!), I found it tastes delicious cold too. I made it yesterday and had it cold and today I think I’ll be having it warm – oh the vagaries of the English summer!


Carrot and Cumin Soup
Serves 4

4 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
800ml vegetable stock (if stock from cubes use 2)


1. Cut a cross in the ends of the tomatoes and place in a bowl
2. Fill bowl with boiling water to cover tomatoes
3. Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots, garlic and onion and put in pan
4. Take tomatoes out of water and the skins should easily peel off, chop and put in pan
5. Make stock and add to pan
6. Cover and bring to boil
7. Turn down heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until veg are tender
8. Blend until smooth
9. Can be served with crème fraiche and sprinkle of cumin if desired
Sit back and enjoy!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh yum, I am always on the look out for new soup ides, will definitely be giving this one a go. I can't belive that you only recently tried a choc brownie, I would probably live on them if I could, they are divine. Your little ones look like they had fun baking. Talia loves to bake and of course her favourite part is licking the spoon, mine too actually....X