Friday 22 August 2008

My first tag and meme

So I got my first tag the other day and a meme - didn't know what one was until I checked out Julie's blog!

THINGS TO DO IN MY TOWN FOR (ALMOST) FREE MEME from the lovely Julie. Here are the rules (because it wouldn't be a meme without rules):

1. List (at least) five things to do for free in your city or town, not just well publicised touristy things, but things YOU might do too!

2. Write it with a visitor in mind.

3. Tag three people* - extra fun if they live somewhere you'd like to know better or you're going to sometime soon.

4. If you're anonymous/coy about where you live, choose another town or city that you know.

Well it's not my current town but it was once my town so I'm doing Wellington, NZ:

1 Te Papa - now I know this is right up there on the tourist trail but it is one of the best museums I have ever been too. Great for adults and really good interactive parts for the children. We spent a lot of time in front of the wild boar with Maia!

2 Cuba Street - this is just great for people watching, with a small playground for the children and an awesome 'bucket fountain' which captivates you whatever age. Full of lovely boutique shops, cafes and bars so it's only free if you show some restraint!

3 Cycling round the bays - this can be as little or as much as you like - you can start at Island Bay and head left or right. Right takes you to Owhiro Bay and then onto Red Rocks, left can take you round the whole peninsula bringing you back into the city at Oriental Bay. It's an awesome cycle and you have the chance of seeing dolphins and penguins amongst other wildlife. On a good day you can also see the snow capped top of the Kaikouras - great view!

4 Walking - there are so many walks in Wellington it's hard to know which to say. A great one starts at the harbour right in the city and then head around the water at the back of Te Papa along towards Oriental Bay. There's now a children's playground with a cool skateboard type frame in, you can see the old boat sheds, the fountain in the harbour and finish at the beach at Oriental Bay.

5 Swimming/surfing - yes, you do need to be hardy and wait for one of those Wellington days that wow everyone but there are good swimming and surf spots around Wellington. I learnt to surf at Lyall Bay (well learnt is a bit of an exaggeration - I got wet whilst holding a board might be closer to the truth!).
Of course if you like coffee then any trip out in Wellington won't be free because there are so many awesome cafes to choose from and the coffee is amazing - I'm hanging out for the flat whites!
So time to tag 3 others:
mama4 at A smile a day

4 comments:

Jem said...

Thanks for this, I'll have a good think and write mine over the weekend xx

Julie said...

Thanks for joining in the meme fun.... I have always wanted to go to Wellington, now I want to go EVEN MORE....X
ps. those raspberries look divine!!!!

Becks said...

Oh will have to think on this one.
But thanks for thinking of us.XX

Heart Felt said...

I LOVE Cuba Street, it is one my most favorite places in the world! Thanks for sharing. xx